ID: 1229 Nimi: Eestirand
Sisestatud: 15.01.2013
Päritolumaa: Estonia
Dateering: 20th century Ehitusaasta: 1910
Hukkumise aeg: 24.08.1941 Jõuallikas: steamship
Aadress: Inland sea, Soome laht, Tallinna laht
Otstarve: merchant ship
Laevatüüp: steamer
Ajalugu: Built in 1910 in Dumbarton, Scotland. Has carried the following names: Strathardle (1910-1916), Harold Dollar (1916-1927), Glenbeath (1927-1932), Eestirand (1932-1941), VT-532. A private limited company "Kalandus" bought the ship in 1932 for 120 kroons. The leading characters of the company were Jakob Jürison, Kolumbus, Lambot, Kilu and others. In 1932 the ship arrived in Tallinn and it was adjusted as the base ship for a herring fishing expedition. As the mother ship of the Herring Fleet - also included: Põhjarand, Läänerand, Harjurand and Virurand - the ship served on the Norwegian Sea around Iceland until 1936. The captain of the ship was Jakob Lepni. Was also used as a cargo ship.
Hukulugu: Took part of the Soviet war- and civil fleet evacuation from Tallinn to Kronstadt. Belonged to the same convoy as tanker no. 11, transport ships Aegna, A. Zdanov, hydrographical vessel Gidrograf, icebreaker Oktjabr and damaged destroyer Engels, 6 minesweepers. There were approximately 3500 men (according to some sources ca 5000 men) on board, amongst them approximately 40 of Estonian highest ranked officers who had not been arrested. On 24 August the German airforce planes attacked the ship near Keri Island. Captain B. Nelke directed the ship, which was leaking from two bomb hits, to a shoal nearby. 44 men lost their lives in the course of the bombing. Several hundred men jumped overboard (most of them drowned). 2762 (other sources say 2672) made it to Prangli Island where, commanded by colonel Arved Engmann, they seized power and later made it back to the mainland. In the course of the war, the Russians sunk the ship completely. A large wooden memorial cross has been set on Prangli to remember the event. In 1946 the ship was lifted and towed to Kopli Bay in Tallinn. In 1948 it was cut for scrap metal in Paljassaar. The bottom part of the wreck probably remains on the bottom of the bay,
Objekti andmed: Length of the ship 114.7 meters, width 15.9 meters, tonnage 4377 brt. One steam engine with three boilers, 320 hp.
Materjal: shipbuilding steel
Arhiiviviide: ERA.1091.1.1357
Allika viited ja kirjandus: Suda Ministerstva Morskogo Flota pogibšie v period Velikoi Otetšestvennoi Voinõ 1941 - 1945. Moskva, 31.